Sunday, February 25, 2007

Betty Not Just Ugly, Also Dumb


Yet another reminder that the vast majority of celebrities are imbeciles. I'm sure they will give us a few more examples of their warped world view tonight at the Oscars. I won't be watching.

From News Busters

At 'Spirit Awards,' Star of ABC's 'Ugly Betty' Quips U.S. Won't Be 'Free' Until Bush Gone
Posted by Brent Baker on February 24, 2007 - 20:22.
A preview of the political commentary we can expect at Sunday night's Academy Awards? As a presenter at Saturday's “Film Independent's Spirit Awards” carried live at 2pm PST/5pm EST on the Independent Film Channel (IFC), actress America Ferrera (IMDb page), the title role star of ABC's Ugly Betty, interjected a bit of political commentary suggesting the U.S. will not be “the land of the free” again until President Bush leaves office. Taking the stage inside a tent on the Santa Monica beach, Ferrera was joined by actor Zach Braff, a star on NBC's Scrubs, to present the award for the “Best First Feature.” In the scripted exchange, Braff asked: “So do you think that you have any traits in common with the country that is your namesake?” Ferrera replied: “I guess I'm a free-spirited person and America's supposedly the 'land of the free,' right?” She then added, to loud applause from the left coast film industry audience: “Or at least we will be in 2008.”

Of course, Ferrera needs to study up on the U.S. political system. The new President will not take office until 2009.

The awards ceremony will re-air twice for two hours in “edited” form on AMC, presumably meaning with advertisements and sans the vulgarities, at 10pm EST Saturday night and 9am EST Sunday morning.

The exchange at the February 24 event:


Zach Braff: “You know America, here's a little interesting tidbit you probably don't know about me. My middle name is Israel. We're both named after countries. “

America Ferrera: “Wow, that is interesting.”

Braff: “So do you think that you have any traits in common with the country that is your namesake?”

Ferrera: “Well, you know, I mean I guess I'm a free-spirited person and America's supposedly the 'land of the free,' right?”

Braff: “Well, I guess.”

Ferrera: “Or at least we will be in 2008.” [loud applause] Well how about you, Zach, I mean do you have anything in common with Israel?”

Braff: “Let me see. Well, I'm predominantly Jewish, I'm very hot and all of my neighbors hate me. So yeah.” [audience laughter]

Sphere: Related Content

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

get over it. i watched when she said that. it was a joke people laughed. we all know that we are free in America so havev a sense of humor.

Falling Panda said...

It wasn't that funny. But those people sure applauded loudly after that joke. Almost like they thought she was right on.

Radiant Times said...

I'm so glad I don't watch the Oscars and most television shows. Looks like they are in a downward spiral, much like much of the main stream media.

Anonymous said...

There ought to be a thesbian version of "Shut up and Sing". These actors continually spoil our view of them by giving their opinions. They'd be much richer if they'd just shut up and act.

Shannonymous said...

DUDE YOU CANNOT SAY JUST SHUT UP AND SING OR SHUT UP AND ACT! It is a free country and no matter how dumb or famous someone is, they have a right to voice their opinion.

And if you don't like their opinion, you have a right to not watch their lame ass show or go to their concerts. =)